Last updated on June 17th, 2018
MKVToolNix has reached the new major 10.0.0 series with H.264 and H.265 parsers improvements. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.10, and their derivatives.
MKVToolNix 10.0.0 changelog:
- mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: mkvmerge will now drop all frames before the first key frame as they cannot be decoded properly anyway.
- mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: mkvmerge will now drop all frames before the first key frame as they cannot be decoded properly anyway.
- mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: added a workaround for invalid values for the “default display window” in the VUI parameters of sequence parameter sets.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed track offsets being wrong in certain situations regarding the presence or absence of edit lists (‘elst’ atoms) & composition timestamps (‘ctts’ atoms).
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: offsets in “ctts” are now always treated as signed integers, even with version 0 atoms.
- mkvinfo: the timestamps of SimpleBlocks with negative timestamps are now shown correctly.
- mkvmerge: Matroska reader: fixed handling BlockGroups and SimpleBlocks with negative timestamps.
- mkvmerge: MP3 packetizer: the MP3 packetizer will no longer drop timestamps from source containers if they go backwards. This keeps A/V in sync for files where the source was in sync even though their timestamps aren’t monotonic increasing.
- mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: mkvmerge will now drop timestamps from the source container if no frame is emitted for that timestamp.
- mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: mkvmerge will now drop timestamps from the source container if no frame is emitted for that timestamp. Fixes the HEVC equivalent of the problem with AVC described in #1908.
- mkvextract: SSA/ASS: fixed extraction when the “Format” line in the “[Events]” section contains less fields than the default for SSA/ASS would indicate.
How to Install MKVToolNix 10.0.0 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching “terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command to add MKVToolNix Linux repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -sc) main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunkus.org.list'
Type in your password (no visual feedback due to security reason) and hit Enter. For Linux Mint 18, replace
$(lsb_release -sc) in the code with xenial.
2. Then install the GPG key via command:
wget -q -O - https://mkvtoolnix.download/gpg-pub-moritzbunkus.txt | sudo apt-key add -
3. Finally upgrade MKVToolNix via Software Updater if you have a previous release installed.
Or run following commands in terminal to install / upgrade the software:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix mkvtoolnix-gui