Inkscape, free and open-source vector graphics editor, released version 0.92.4 a few days ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10.
Inkscape 0.92.4 features stability improvements and bug-fixes. The key improvements include:
- Align multiple objects as a group relative to a single object
- Write image data to standard output and read from it
- Experience extensions working faster within complex documents
- See improved speed when deselecting a path with many nodes
- Ungroup text elements won’t result in changed font size of children
- Able to print and / or print correct paper size with printers (especially Canon, EPSON, Konica Minolta)
- See improved performance of the measure tool when grids are visible
- See proper opacity of partially transparent embedded bitmap images in PDF export
- Able to Shift/Ctrl-click on control handles of shapes without crashing
- Build Inkscape with up-to-date poppler library 0.72.0 – useful for Mac users building with Homebrew
Install Inkscape 0.92.4 via Snap in Ubuntu:
Snap is a containerized software package runs in most Linux desktop. It bundles most required libraries and automatic update itself when a new release is available.
For Ubuntu 18.04 and higher, the official Inkscape snap package can be easily installed from Ubuntu Software Center:
Inkscape snap can be launched either from application menu, or by running command in terminal:
snap run inkscape
Install Inkscape 0.92.4 via PPA in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, and higher, the new release is available to install via its official PPA.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or from application menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
Type user password (no asterisks feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade inkscape from an existing release via Software Updater:
or run command in terminal to check updates and install the editor:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install inkscape
To remove the PPA repository, open Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove Inkscape, either use Synaptic package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove inkscape