Inkscape, free and open-source vector graphics editor, released version 0.92.4 a few days ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10.
Inkscape 0.92.4 features stability improvements and bug-fixes. The key improvements include:
- Align multiple objects as a group relative to a single object
- Write image data to standard output and read from it
- Experience extensions working faster within complex documents
- See improved speed when deselecting a path with many nodes
- Ungroup text elements won’t result in changed font size of children
- Able to print and / or print correct paper size with printers (especially Canon, EPSON, Konica Minolta)
- See improved performance of the measure tool when grids are visible
- See proper opacity of partially transparent embedded bitmap images in PDF export
- Able to Shift/Ctrl-click on control handles of shapes without crashing
- Build Inkscape with up-to-date poppler library 0.72.0 – useful for Mac users building with Homebrew
Install Inkscape 0.92.4 via Snap in Ubuntu:
Snap is a containerized software package runs in most Linux desktop. It bundles most required libraries and automatic update itself when a new release is available.
For Ubuntu 18.04 and higher, the official Inkscape snap package can be easily installed from Ubuntu Software Center:
Inkscape snap can be launched either from application menu, or by running command in terminal:
snap run inkscape
Install Inkscape 0.92.4 via PPA in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, and higher, the new release is available to install via its official PPA.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or from application menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
Type user password (no asterisks feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade inkscape from an existing release via Software Updater:
or run command in terminal to check updates and install the editor:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install inkscape
To remove the PPA repository, open Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove Inkscape, either use Synaptic package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove inkscape
Hi, I’m having the following issue after the latest step on Ubuntu 19. Can you help me?
$ sudo apt-get install inkscape
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
inkscape : Depends: libpoppler82 (>= 0.71.0) but it is not installable
Recommends: python-uniconvertor but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.