Since the desktop icons are handled by an extension instead of Nautilus file browser, drag’n’drop action between desktop and file browser does no longer work.
Fortunately, a fork of the original Desktop Icons extension now is available with several enhancements, including Drag’n’Drop.
It’s called Desktop Icons NG, and features:
- Drag’n’Drop, both inside the desktop, between desktop and applications, and nautilus windows
- Allows to use “Open with…” option with several files
- When hovering or clicking on an icon with a name too large to fit, it shows the full name
- Doesn’t hang the compositor when there is too much activity in the desktop folder
Install Desktop Icons NG extension:
1. If you’re first time installing a Gnome Shell extension, first open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to install recommended packages:
sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell gnome-shell-extension-prefs
2. Then go to extensions.gnome.org/…/desktop-icons-ng. Turn on the toggle icon and install the extension.
Don’t see the toggle icon? Click the link to install browser extension and refresh the web page.
3. Open Extensions tool from app launcher. Disable the built-in ‘Desktop Icons’ extension and enable the new installed ‘Desktop Icons NG’ extension.
For the extension settings, simply right-click on Ubuntu Desktop and select the last option.