This quick tutorial shows how to improve your Ubuntu experience by speeding up the Unity Dash (search utility) response in Ubuntu 14.10 or Ubuntu 14.04.
1. Remove undesired search results
By default, the Dash displays Unity lens, scopes, Amazon online search results, and records file and application usage. You can disable some of them via below tips:
- Disable online search results:
Launch System Settings and go to Security & Privacy, under “Search” tab turn off the switch which says “When searching in the Dash: include online search results”
- Stop recording file and app usage:
Also launch System Settings and go to Security & Privacy, under “Files & Applications” tab first clear records and then turn off the switch:
- Remove unwanted Unity lens, scopes:
Open Ubuntu Software Center and search for unity-scope. In the results, check the information of installed scopes and remove the scopes you don’t need.
Do same to Unity lens by searching unity-lens.
2. Reduce Graphics Settings.
First click the link below to bring up Ubuntu Software Center and click install Compiz Config Settings Manager.
Then launch CCSM from the Unity Dash and do below changes:
- Go to Ubuntu Unity Plugin page under the Desktop category. Select No Blur from the drop-down box for Dash Blur.
- Go back and then go to OpenGL settings page under General category. Select Fast from the drop-down box for Texture Filter.
Note that this change would affect the whole Ubuntu System graphics and not Unity alone.
To apply all the changes, restart your computer. Enjoy!