SMPlayer, open-source Qt front-end for MPlayer and MPV, has reached the 16.6 release with some great new features including a tablet mode and high-DPI support.
High DPI screens are supported now in SMPlayer. You can turn on/off this feature and manually adjust the scale factor by navigating to Preferences -> Interface -> High DPI.
There’s a new ‘tablet mode’, available in menu Options, that brings support for 2 in 1 computers with touch screens.
SMPlayer 16.6 also brings:
- Option to send video to an external screen.
- Global shortcuts support, enable it in Preferences -> Keyboard and mouse
- Settings are remembered for online streams.
- built with Qt 5 by default.
How Install /Upgrade SMPlayer in Ubuntu:
For all current Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04, and Ubuntu 16.10, the most recent build can be installed from the PPA by following the steps below one by one:
1. Add PPA.
Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and paste the command below and hit run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
Type in your password (no visual feedback) when it asks and hit Enter to continue.
2. If you have a previous release installed, you can upgrade it by launching Software Updater:
Or run the commands below one by one to do update and install in terminal:
sudo apt update sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes
3. (Optional) To revert back to the stock version of SMPlayer in your Ubuntu release, purge the PPA via ppa-purge by running command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:rvm/smplayer