The Ubuntu Team has announced the first beta release of Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak, feathers images for Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio.
This pre-release includes the v4.4 kernel, LibreOffice 5.2, and a number of software updates that are ready for wider testing. These images are still under development, so you should expect some bugs.
Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 1 Release Highlights:
Lubuntu still uses LXDE since LXQT is still in development.
Ubuntu GNOME 16.10:
- includes GNOME 3.20
- Select apps have been updated to their GNOME 3.22 Beta 1 (3.21.90) versions.
- GTK 3 version of LibreOffice 5.2 by default.
- GNOME’s Initial Setup utility is included and enabled.
- Empathy is no longer installed by default for new installs.
- The new Characters character map utility is installed by default.
- The experimental wayland session is included.
Ubuntu Kylin 16.04 fixed many internationalization and localization bugs.
Ubuntu MATE 16.10:
- Migrated to GTK 3.20
- Updated to MATE Dock Applet 0.74
- Updated many MATE packages for improved GTK 3.20 support
- Removed MATE Heads-Up Display (HUD)
Ubuntu Studio 16.04 included dgedit, drumgizmo, gpick, calibre, pdf-shuffler, plume-creator. Replaced recordmydesktop with vokoscreen, and gnome-color-manager with dispcalgui. Also an updated list of packages included.
Future releases for Ubuntu 16.10:
|September 22nd||Final Beta|
|October 6th||Final Freeze, Release Candicate|
|October 13th||Final release of Ubuntu 16.10|