The most popular network protocol analyzer, Wireshark 2.2.5, was finally made into PPA repository more than a week after its release date.
Wireshark 2.2.5 is mainly a bug-fix release. The changes include updated protocol support and the following bug-fixes:
- Infinite loop: RTMTP dissector, WSP dissector, STANAG 4607 file parser, NetScaler file parser, IAX2 dissector, and NetScaler file parser.
- Crashes: LDSS dissector, NetScaler file parser, and K12 file parser.
- Display filter textbox loses focus during live capturing.
- crashes when saving pcaps, opening pcaps, and exporting specified packets.
- Dumpcap crashes during rpcap setup.
- Crash on closing SNMP capture file if snmp credentials are present.
- And see the release note for more.
How to Install Wireshark 2.2.5 via PPA:
The official stable PPA has built the new release for Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and their derivatives.
1. To add the PPA, open terminal from Unity Dash / App Launcher, or via Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut keys, and then run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireshark-dev/stable
Type in your password (no visual feedback due to security reason) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. For those who have a previous release installed, launch Software Updater (or Update Manager) to upgrade it to the latest:
Or run the commands below in terminal to install / upgrade wireshark:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wireshark
How to restore:
To restore to the stock version of Wireshark in Ubuntu main repositories, purge the PPA via ppa-purge tool:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:wireshark-dev/stable