Pinta, an open-source, bitmap image drawing and editing program inspired by Paint.NET, has reached release 1.5 with many new features, improvements. Add-in support is one of the great new features.
As you may know, Pinta is a bitmap image editor with many features typical of image editing software including drawing tools, image filters and color adjustment tools. It features unlimited undo history, unlimited Layers, and multiple language support.
Th latest Pinta 1.5 was released on May 24 which brings following new features and improvements:
- Re-editable text
- Mouse cursors now resize based on the active brush size.
- The Move Selection and Move Selected tools can now rotate the selection using the right mouse button.
- Added an Invert Selection command.
- New or redesigned mouse cursors for every tool.
- Improved OSX integration (file associations and improved dock integration)
- Redesigned Windows installer, which automatically downloads and installs the correct version of GTK# and the .NET Framework if necessary
- Improved JPEG Compression Dialog (remembers previous settings and has the OK button as the default control)
- The Open File dialog now shows image previews for ORA files, as well as any file formats provided by add-ins.
User can now use the Add-in Manager (under the Add-ins menu) to browse and install add-ins.The developers are in the process of setting up a community add-in repository which will be included by default in future Pinta releases.
Also, there are a lot of bug-fixes. See the release note for details.
Install Pinta 1.5 in Ubuntu:
The latest release has been made into the official PPA for Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty LTS, Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy and Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal.
To install it, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open the terminal. When it opens, run the commands below one by one:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pinta-maintainers/pinta-stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install pinta
(Optional) To remove this app as well as the PPA repository, run:
sudo apt-get remove pinta sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:pinta-maintainers/pinta-stable sudo apt-get update