This simple tutorial shows you how to install the latest RawTherapee 4.0.11 on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, 12.10 Quantal, 12.04 Precise using PPA repository.
RawTherapee is a cross-platform raw image processing program written in C++, using a GTK+ front-end and a patched version of dcraw for reading raw files. It is notable for the advanced control it gives the user over the demosaicing and developing process.
“The 4.0.11 release includes a number of new features which you can read about below, but just as importantly it contains a large number of speed improvements and bug fixes, so we recommend you update straight away!”
- CIECAM02 “Adaptation scene luminosity” now calculated automatically
- CIECAM02 hot/bad pixel fixer to prevent bright pixels from appearing
- The Defringe tool is now able to target a range of specific colors without touching others
- New bundled processing profiles
- New keyboard shortcuts to apply rank and color labels and a new direct popup menu for color labels, all in the File Browser
- “Profile Fill Mode” button controls whether to replace missing processing profile values with default ones or not
- Keyboard shortcuts to open the next/previous image and to synchronize the File Browser strip with the currently opened image
- New demosaicing algorithms for noisy photos:
- More zoom levels
- Redesigned save window
- New functionality of the minima/maxima control points curves editor, see the RawTherapee Manual
- Support for TIFFfiles with alpha channels
- Support for 32-bit TIFF files (HDR)
- Preferences/Batch processing options: all to ‘Add’ and all to ‘Set’
- Support for
- Nikon D5200
- Nikon D7100
- Nikon COOLPIX A
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
The latest release is available for Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, 12.10 Quantal, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise from the ppa repository.
To add the ppa, press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open a terminal window. When it opens, run below command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
Then update package lists and install via Synaptic Package Manager. Or you can run below command instead:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install rawtherapee
A big thank you for this. Much appreciated.
. . ./J
I’m new to Ubuntu, so I’ve probably got a real newbies problem here, but I can easily install RawTherapee (RT) 4.0.9-4 from the software centre.
However, when I add the repository as outlined (above) on “http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/07/install-rawtherapee-4-0-11-ubuntu/”
…then using apt-get install rawtherapee manually Ubuntu still picks up RT4.0.9-4. I guess it must be to do with the order in which repositories are checked by apt-get…but…any advice on how to fix it would be most welcome.