Skype 5.0 for Linux has been announced a few hours ago. It’s now in the beta stage.
What’s New in Skype 5.0 for Linux:
- Calls to mobiles and landlines with Skype credit
- one-to-one VIDEO CALLS support from Linux to Skype for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- View shared screens from other Skype desktop clients
- Unity launcher now shows the number of unread conversations
- online contacts in contact list now include Away and Do Not Disturb statuses.
How to Install Skype 5.0 for Linux in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
The new release can be installed from the Skype apt repository, simply open terminal from Unity Dash, App Launcher, or via Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key and run following commands one by one:
1. Make sure you have ‘apt-transport-https’ installed by running command:
dpkg -s apt-transport-https > /dev/null || bash -c "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https -y"
Type in your password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Download and install Skype GPG key via command:
curl https://repo.skype.com/data/SKYPE-GPG-KEY | sudo apt-key add -
3. Add Skype apt repository to your system via command:
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
4. Finally, install Skype for Linux either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running following commands in terminal:
sudo apt update sudo apt install skypeforlinux
How to Remove:
For any reason you can remove Skype for Linux either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running the command:
sudo apt remove skypeforlinux && sudo apt autoremove
And you can remove the Skype repository via Software & Updates -> Other Software.
Instead of using these “NSA” tools developed by Microsoft, why not use open source softwares that are doing better ? and convince all your surroundings to use these tools ? For info I’m speaking about Wire that works natively and great on Linux, Windows and Mac (audio/video/text).Not affiliated with them, just a very happy user since I throwed away Skype of my computers !!
Thank you very much
now you can just download in https://www.skype.com/pt-br/download-skype/skype-for-linux/
and run the command inside the folder that you downloaded:
sudo dpkg -i skypeforlinux-64.deb
how can i install skype for i386 please
Thanks for this solution. I always like your howtos :)