Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.16 was released as a new maintenance release with Kernel 5.9 support for Linux host and guest.
Virtualbox 6.1.16 changelog:
- Fixed random memory corruption and XMM register state corruption inside the VM when Hyper-V is used
- Fixed VMSVGA 3D support with Linux guests when Hyper-V is used
- Fixed some Qt related crashes on macOS Big Sur
- Fixed network integration not working behind some proxies
- Mask out remote wake capability to avoid unresponsive devices
- Fixed issues with audio playback after host goes to sleep
- Keep transferring data if the status line monitoring fails
- Fixed blocking a re-connect when TCP mode is used
- Fixed inability of guests to use the last timer
- Fixed detection of system locale when running ‘VBoxManage unattended install’ without –locale
- macOS host: Installer on Big Sur is now reminding user that system has to be rebooted to load the installed KEXTs
- Support kernel version 5.9
- Linux guest: Workaround to improve resizing of 32-bit VMs with VMSVGA graphics controller, and do not try to use RandR version 1.3 due to bugs causing the X server to hang
- Linux guest: Fixed VBoxService crashing in the CPU hot-plug service under certain circumstances during a CPU hot-unplug event.
- Fixed Guest additions build for RHEL 8.3 beta
How to Install VirtualBox 6.1.16 in Ubuntu:
.deb packages are available for download at the link below:
If you’ve already added the Oracle apt repository for Linux, install the updates simply via Software Updater.
Or add the apt repository by running following commands one by one:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), paste below command and run to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
For Linux Mint, you HAVE to replace
$(lsb_release -sc) in the command with
bionic for Mint 19.x, or
xenial for Mint 18.x, or
focal for Linux Mint 20.
2. Then download and install the repository key via command:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Refresh system package cache via command:
sudo apt update
4. Finally install Virtualbox 6.1:
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
To remove it, simply run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.1
And go to Software & Updates -> Other Software to remove apt repositories.