KDE Plasma desktop 5.17 was released yesterday. Now you can install it in (K)Ubuntu 19.10 via KUbuntu Backports PPA.
Plasma 5.17 release highlights:
- Night Color for X11.
- Fractional scaling support on Wayland.
- Faster startup performance.
- New panel in System Settings for configuring Thunderbolt devices
- Improved widget resizing, settings panels, and many other small feature additions.
- For more details, see the release note.
How to Install Plasma 5.17 in (K)Ubuntu 19.10:
Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu. When it opens, do:
1. Add Kubuntu Backports PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Install Plasma 5.17 in Kubuntu 19.10:
Either install all system update via Update Manager, or run command in terminal:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
3. For non-Kubuntu user:
Run command to install Plasma desktop:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install plasma-desktop
or install full KDE desktop environment via command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
You can purge the Kubuntu Backports PPA, which also downgrade Plasma desktop to the stock version (5.16.5) in Ubuntu 19.10 repository.
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports