The open source kart racing game, Supertuxkart 0.9.3, was released earlier today. The new release features in-game screen recording and Android support.
Supertuxkart 0.9.3 release highlight:
- Reduced RAM and VRAM usage, reducing load times.
- New mesh format optimized for space and hardware skinning
- Code refactoring of both render pipelines
- New karts Wilber, Hexley, Kiki and updated Konqi.
- New tracks Cornfield Crossing and Candela City
- Physics improvements and various physics bugfixes
- Kart GFX improvements (exhaust and headlight)
- In-game screen recording powered by libopenglrecorder
- High quality mipmap generation by Stragus
- New smoother camera
- New Grand Prix win scene
- Gamepad configuration bugfixes
- 3 Strikes Battle: added spare tire karts
- Various improvements (see the release note)
How to Install Supertuxkart 0.9.3 in Ubuntu:
There’s a stable PPA contains the new 0.9.3 release for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 17.10, and next Ubuntu 18.04.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching it from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stk/dev
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. If you have a previous release installed, just upgrade it via Software Updater.
Or run commands in terminal to install or upgrade to Supertuxkart 0.9.3:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install supertuxkart
You can launch Software & Updates utility and navigate to ‘Other Software’ tab to disable or remove the PPA.
To remove the game, either use your system package manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove supertuxkart