GIMP image editor 2.10.20 was released a few days ago with some new features as well as important bug-fixes.
GIMP 2.10.20 release highlights according to the release note:
- Tool-group menus can now expand on hover
- Non-destructive cropping now available by cropping the canvas rather than actual pixels
- Better PSD support: exporting of 16-bit files now available, reading/writing channels in the right order
- On-canvas controls for the Vignette filter
- New filters: Bloom, Focus Blur, Lens Blur, Variable Blur
- Blending options now built into filter dialogs
- Over 30 bugfixes
How to Install GIMP 2.10.20 in Ubuntu:
It seems that the otto’s PPA is not being updated, while it’s still at v2.10.14.
The community maintained GIMP Snap package is still v2.10.18 at the moment. If you’ve installed it on your system, it will be auto-updated once the new package published.
GIMP 2.10.20 Flatpak package was made into flathub repository on June 7 once the source tarball was available. You can install it by running following commands one by one in terminal:
1.) Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to install flatpak:
sudo apt install flatpak
2.) Add the flathub repository by running command:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
3.) Finally install GIMP flatpak via command:
flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP
(Optional) To update installed GIMP Flatpak package, run command:
flatpak update org.gimp.GIMP
To remove GIMP flatpak package, run command:
flatpak uninstall org.gimp.GIMP