Quick tutorial shows you how to install Nightingale, open source fork of Songbird music player for Linux, in Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu 15.04.
Nightingale is a free, open source audio player and web browser based on the Songbird media player source code. As such, Nightingale’s engine is based on the Mozilla XULRunner with libraries such as the GStreamer media framework and libtag providing media tagging and playback support, amongst others. Since official support for Linux was dropped by Songbird in April, 2010, Linux-using members of the Songbird community diverged and created the project. Contrary to Songbird, which is primarily licensed under the GPLv2 but includes artwork that is not freely distributable, Nightingale is free software, licensed under the GPLv2, with portions under the MPL and BSD licenses.
- Plugins compatible with Songbird (with one modification to the addon)
- Multi-platform compatibility with Windows XP, Vista, 7, Linux and Mac OS X v10.5 (x86, x86-64).
- Ability to play multiple audio formats, such as MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Apple Lossless and WMA
- Ability to play Apple FairPlay-encoded audio on Windows and Mac platforms via hooks into QuickTime (authorization takes place in iTunes)
- Ability to play Windows Media DRM audio on Windows platforms
- Media files stored on pages viewed in the browser show up as playable files in Nightingale
- MP3 file download
- Ability to subscribe to MP3 blogs as playlists
- Ability to build custom mixes
- Ability to scan the user’s computer for all audio files and add them to a local library
- A configurable and collapsible graphical user interface similar to iTunes, and mini-player mode
- Keyboard shortcuts and media keyboard support
- Last.fm integration via a plugin, complete with love/hate buttons
- Microsoft MTP compatible device support
- Ability to edit and save metadata tags
- Gapless playback and ReplayGain
- Watch folders
- Media import and export (from and to iTunes)
How to Install Nightingale in Ubuntu:
Nightingale Team provides a Launchpad PPA that contains the latest stable binaries for Ubuntu. So far, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and their derivatives are supported.
To add the PPA, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, paste the command below and hit enter to run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nightingaleteam/nightingale-release
After that, you can install the player via Synaptic Package Manager after checking for updates. Or just run the commands below one by one:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nightingale