VLC media player 3.0.7 was released a day ago. The new release features numerous security fixes and many improvements.
VLC 3.0.7 release highlights:
- Improvements on the Blu-ray support, notably for menus
- Improve MP4 support
- Improvements for HDR support on Windows, including for HLG streams
- Improve Chromecast support with new ChromeCast apps
- Fixes for UPnP discovery on MacBooks with a TouchBar
- Fixes for some 10bit and 12bit rendering on Windows 10
- And numerous security fixes.
How to Install VLC 3.0.7 in Ubuntu:
The official VLC 3.0.7 snap package (containerised software package) is available in Ubuntu Software for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10, Ubuntu 19.04, and higher.
For Ubuntu 16.04, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and make sure
snapd daemon is installed.
sudo apt-get install snapd
Then install VLC 3.0.7 snap package via command:
sudo snap install vlc --classic
Once installed, open VLC from your system application launcher and enjoy!
(Optional) To remove the snap package, either use Ubuntu Software or run command in terminal:
sudo snap remove vlc
VLC 3.0.7 PPA:
For those who are looking for traditional VLC .deb package, the unofficial PPA contains the latest VLC 3.0.7 packages for Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04.