Kodi media center 18.4 was released today as another bug-fix release for Kodi 18 “Leia”. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 19.04.
Kodi 18.4 release highlights:
- FFmpeg: Bump to 4.0.4-Leia-18.4
- Load program from stream property without using streaminfo (video)
- Fix initialization of AVD3D11VAContext structure (video, Windows)
- Fix TS resume point, related to PR16314 (video)
- Fixed memory leak, fixed segfault (video, Linux)
- Fix PAPlayer to handle passthrough for TrueHD (audio)
- Fix file times for vfs addons
- And many interface and general fixes.
How to Install Kodi 18.4 in Ubuntu:
The Kodi stable PPA has made the new release packages for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04, and their derivatives.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or from application menu. When it opens, paste below command and hit run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Then either upgrading Kodi from an existing version via Software Updater:
or refresh system package cache and install Kodi 18.4 via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install kodi
For Ubuntu 18.04 and higher, you can skip the
apt update command as it’s done automatically in step 1.
To remove the Kodi PPA repository, simply open Software & Updates -> Other Software.
To remove Kodi, run command:
sudo apt remove --autoremove kodi kodi-data kodi-bin