GNOME 46, the default desktop environment for next Ubuntu 24.04 and Fedora 40, now is in Beta stage. It’s now the best time for developers to test their applications and shell extensions.
Gnome 46 features explicit Global Search for the Files, redesigned
Privacy settings page, added new System panel in Gnome Control Center, and support headless remote login. See more new features about GNOME 46.
The Beta release was announced few days ago, and it marks the start of the UI, feature and API freezes. The changes in the release include:
- Support PKCS #11 smart card authentication in Epiphany (GNOME Web).
- Add command line options to gcr-ssh-agent
- Modernises the look of the Bluetooth properties dialogue
- GNOME COnnections now has support for domains, and certificate verification for RDP
- Improve image and os rename display in the welcome dialog.
- Add Preferences dialog for Gnome Music. Remove
Songs view, and drop old-style selection mode
- Add Microsoft 365 provider for online accounts.
- Add keyboard model configuration support
- Improve default and High Contrast styling
- Add openSUSE Leap distro upgrade plugin for GNOME Software
- Add new-window action for gnome-text-editor.
- Loupe image viewer now has Shift+Delete shortcut to permanently delete image
- Postpone the “Network View” in Nautilus.
For more about the beta release and installer image for testing purpose, see the official announcement. And, the final release of GNOME 46 will be available in next month, see the Wiki page for schedule.