Audacity audio editor 2.4.0 was released a few days ago. The release was paused due to a critical bug. Now version 2.4.1 arrived with quick fixes.
What’s new in Audacity 2.4.1:
- Works on Mac Catalina.
- New Time Toolbar.
- Presets for more effects can be imported and exported.
- New Multi-View mode for tracks.
- Export audio to Opus in Windows, Linux.
- Easier to convert labels between point labels and range labels.
- New Loudness Normalization effect.
- New RMS measurement analyzer.
- New Noise Gate effect.
- New Spectral Delete effect.
- Tons of bug-fixes.
How to Install Audacity 2.4.1 in Ubuntu:
The unofficial PPA has built the new release packages for Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu 18.04, and Ubuntu 16.04.
Due to old build dependencies issue, packages for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.10, will be available in a few days.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/audacity
Type user password (no asterisk feedback due to security reason) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. If you have a previous version installed, you can upgrade Audacity via Software Updater after adding the PPA.
or run following commands one by one to check updates and install (or upgrade) audacity 2.4.1:
sudo apt update sudo apt install audacity
To remove the PPA repository, launch Software & Updates utility and navigate to ‘Other Software’ tab.
To remove Audacity audio software, either use system package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove audacity audacity-data