Curlew is a free multimedia converter for Ubuntu Linux that features small package size, few library dependencies, 100+ output formats, easy to use UI, and more.
Curlew is written in Python and GTK+ 3, and uses FFMPEG (or Libav-tools) to transcode media files. The main features are:
- Easy to use user interface (New GTK3 Header bar).
- Hide the advanced options with the ability to show them.
- More than 100 output formats.
- Allow to edit formats.
- Shutdown or suspend PC afer a conversion process.
- Show file informations, file details using mediainfo.
- Allow to skip or remove file during conversion process.
- Preview file before conversion in its context menu.
- Show video thumbnail.
- Convert a specified portion of file.
- Combine subtitle with video.
- Allow to crop and pad video.
- Show error details if exist.
- And more …
How to Install Curlew transcoder in Ubuntu:
Pre-compiled Ubuntu .deb is available in the link below:
So far, the latest is “curlew_0.2.2-1_all.deb”, just download and install it via either Ubuntu Software or terminal command (Ctrl+Alt+T):
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/curlew_*.deb; sudo apt -f install
Works for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, and their derivatives. Once installed, launch Curlew from Unity Dash, or your desktop app launcher.