Microsoft VS Code IDE has reached the 1.15 release recently. 64-bit installation now has no size limit for large files.
Visual Studio Code 1.15 release highlights:
- Large file improvements. No size limit on 64-bit, and 300MB limit on 32-bit.
- Full search for Release Notes, Markdown preview, and Extensions.
- Source code auto-indenting and new Emmet support.
- User definable syntax highlighting colors
- A color picker to easily create colors in your CSS, SASS, and Less files.
- Added Loaded Scripts explorer
- Support for Markdown preview plugins
- See the release note for details.
How to Install VS Code 1.15 in Ubuntu:
The official .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu is available for download at the link below:
Then install it via either Gdebi package manager or command (Ctrl+Alt+T):
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/code_*.deb; sudo apt -f install
For those who want to receive updates for VS Code via Software Updater utility, add the Microsoft repository via following steps (64bit only):
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list'
2. Download and install the repository key via commands:
curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg sudo mv microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/microsoft.gpg
Install VS Code Snap app in Ubuntu:
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is available via Snap app in Ubuntu, though it’s not updated to version 1.15 at the moment of writing, see how to install VS Code vis Snap in Ubuntu.