Looking for a sound recording software for Ubuntu Unity and/or Gnome Desktop? Well, Audio Recorder is a great free application allows you to record audio from your sound card, microphones, browsers, webcams, music players, Skype calls, and everything plays out of your loudspeakers.
This program supports several output formats such as OGG, M4A, FLAC, MP3, MP2, WAV, SPX. More features:
- a system tray indicator (enable it in settings page)
- automatic control via MPRIS2-compatible media players
- an advanced timer that can:
- start recording on voice or sound
- start, stop or pause recording on give time, or after a time period
- stop or pause recording on “silence”
- stop when the file size exceeds a limit.
How to Install Audio Recorder in Ubuntu:
The software is available in PPA repository for Ubuntu 15.10 and Ubuntu 16.04.
1. Add PPA
Launch terminal from App Launcher, or via Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key. When it opens, paste below command and hit run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa
Type in your password (no visual feedback when typing) when it asks and hit Enter to continue.
2. Update and install the software via Synaptic Package Manager or following commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install audio-recorder
For those who don’t want to add PPA, select download the .deb package for 32bit (
i386) or 64bit (
amd64) Ubuntu 16.04
wily from THIS PAGE, and click install via Software Center.
3. (Optional) To remove this recoder, use Synaptic Package Manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove audio-recorder
For Ubuntu 14.04, and Linux Mint 17.x, an old version is available HERE.