The new development release Wine 4.13 was released a few day ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04.
Wine 4.13 release highlights:
- Support for Passport HTTP redirects.
- A bunch of header updates.
- Various bug fixes.
How to Install Wine 4.13 in Ubuntu:
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu. When it opens, run following commands to download and install the key:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key && sudo apt-key add winehq.key
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then add Wine repository for Ubuntu 19.04:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ disco main'
For other Ubuntu releases, replace
disco in the code with:
bionicfor Ubuntu 18.04, Linux Mint 19.x
3. Install unmet dependence:
The wine devel package requires
libfaudio0 library which is not available in Ubuntu repositories.
As a workaround, run command to add the third-party PPA, which offers the packages for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport
4. Finally run command to install Wine 4.13, which will automatically install the required libfaudio0 libraries.
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel
Once installed, run
winecfg to bring up the configuration window and check Wine version.
Open Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab. Then remove the PPA, and Wine apt repository lines.
To remove Wine devel package, run command:
sudo apt remove --auto-remove winehq-devel