Looking for an XMPP Jabber client for Linux? CoyIM is a free open-source GTK+ client that focus on safety and security.
CoyIM is written in Go programming language with GTK+ framework. It works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS. The chat client has built-in support for Tor, OTR and TLS.
The Tor support allows users to become anonymous while chatting, OTR makes end-to-end encryption of communication possible, and TLS adds another layer of encryption for the communication with chat servers.
- Support of the latest OTR.
- Detection of Tor (if installed) and connection through it.
- Use of Tor Onion Service for a known server.
- Use separate Tor circuits for each account.
- Insert random delays before connecting each account.
- SRV lookup for the server over Tor if available.
- Import from Pidgin, Adium, Gajim or xmpp-client.
- Save all your configuration in an encrypted file.
How to Install CoyIM:
For Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04, you can simply install the chat app from the universe repositories by running command in terminal:
sudo apt install coyim
For the latest release, as well as Windows / Mac OS packages, go to the official download page:
The Linux package is a single executable file. Simply add executable permission via file’s
Properties > Permissions dialog and then run it to launch the software.
Leave a Reply