The free, open-source, and professional quality vector graphics software Inkscape 0.91 has been released recently with quite a lot of changes.
According to the official release note, Inkscape 0.91 features:
- cairo rendering for display and PNG export
- OpenMP multithreading for all filters
- C++ code conversion
- type design features
- a new measure tool
- cross platform WMF and EMF import and export
- symbol library and support for Visio stencils
- improved support for Corel DRAW documents, Visio importer
- support for real world document and page size units, e.g. millimeters
- numerous usability improvements
For a full list of changes, see this page.
How to Install or Upgrade Inkscape in Ubuntu:
Since Ubuntu repositories provide the old 0.48 release, Inkscape 0.91 (renamed from ver 0.49) is available in its official PPA repository for Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 15.04, and Linux Mint 17/17.1.
Just open terminal from the Dash or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard. When it opens, run command below to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
After that, open Software Updater utility and click install the updates for Inkscape:
Or you can run below commands one by one to install or upgrade it in terminal:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install inkscape
That’s it. Enjoy!