KDE announced the latest version of its desktop environment Plasma 5.16 today. (K)Ubuntu 19.04 users can install or upgrade to Plasma 5.16 via the Backports PPA.
KDE Plasma 5.16 release highlights:
- Completely rewritten notification system:
- Do Not Disturb mode
- more intelligent history which grouped by app.
- critical notifications in fullscreen apps
- better notifications for file transfer jobs
- Greatly improved Plasma’s themes system
- The Show Desktop icon is present in the panel by default.
- New icons, labels, hover behavior, etc for the lock, login and logout screens
- Initial support for using Wayland with proprietary Nvidia drivers
- And much more other improvements and changes.
How to Install Plasma 5.16 in (K)Ubuntu 19.04:
Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu. When it opens, do:
1. Add Kubuntu Backports PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Install Plasma 5.16 in Kubuntu 19.04:
Either install all system update via Update Manager, or run command in terminal:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
3. For non-Kubuntu user:
Run command to install Plasma desktop:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install plasma-desktop
or install full KDE desktop environment via command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
You can purge the Kubuntu Backports PPA, which also downgrade Plasma desktop to the stock version (5.15.x) in Ubuntu 19.04 repository.
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports