The KDE team announced a new update to Plasma desktop 5.12 yesterday. The packages are available in Kubuntu Backports PPA for (K)ubuntu 17.10.
KDE Plasma 5.12.3 adds a a fortnight’s worth of new translations and fixes from KDE’s contributors. The bugfixes are typically small but important and include:
- Fix installation of Discover backends.
- KWin: Fix the build on armhf/aarch64.
- Fix the userswitcher when using the mouse for switching.
- Render application icon at paintdevice DPR.
- And many other changes, see CHANGLOG for details.
How to Install Plasma 5.12.3 in (K)Ubuntu 17.10:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Type in your password when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade your system to get the latest Plasma Desktop via either Update Manager or command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
After the upgrade process has completed, and assuming everything went well, reboot your computer.
For non-Kubuntu user, you may first install the
kubuntu-desktop package either from Ubuntu Software or by running below command before doing the upgrade.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
How to Uninstall:
To undo the changes and restore to the stock version of Plasma Desktop in your main Ubuntu repository, purge the PPA via command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports