The latest Plasma desktop 5.8.8 LTS (long-term support) release has been made into Kubuntu Backports PPA for KUbuntu 16.04.
Plasma 5.8.8 was released 2 weeks ago with numerous bug-fixes.
- Fix crash when using Discover during updates.
- Try to read CPU clock from cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq instead of /proc/cpuinfo.
- DrKonqi crash handler: make attaching backtraces to existing bug reports work.
- Fix crash when removing panel with system tray in it.
- Read the release note for details.
Install Plasma 5.8.8 in (K)Ubuntu 16.04:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Type in your password when prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade your system to get the latest Plasma Desktop:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
After the upgrade process has completed, and assuming everything went well, reboot your computer.
For non-Kubuntu desktop, you may first install the Kubuntu desktop package from Ubuntu Software before doing the upgrade.
How to Uninstall:
To undo the changes and restore to the stock version of Plasma Desktop in your main Ubuntu repository, purge the PPA via command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports