SMPlayer media player 18.2.2 was released earlier today. It has been made into PPA repository for all current Ubuntu releases.
SMPlayer 18.2.2 features:
- The option Open -> URL can now also load YouTube playlists.
- New option in Preferences -> Subtitles to select the opacity of the background of the subtitles (available when the “border style” is set to “opaque box”).
- The options to select the preferred number of track for audio and subtitles are back.
- (mpv) Now the direct3d is the default video output for Windows, since some users reported problems with the gpu output.
How to Install SMPlayer 18.2.2 in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 18.04, and derivatives, do following steps to install or upgrade SMPlayer via PPA.
1. Search for and launch “terminal” from application launcher. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade SMPlayer using Software Updater (or Update Manager):
or run commands in terminal to install (or upgrade) the media player:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes
To remove SMPlayer, run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove smplayer smtube smplayer-*
And remove the PPA via “Software & Updates” utility under Other Software tab.